box-of-paints

a journal of my creative efforts, past and present

My Photo
Name:
Location: Berkeley, California, United States

Monday, September 01, 2008

two recent drawings

Ok, so I know I've been a bit lax on keeping up with my blog entries here. However, I have been marginally productive. Posted below are two recent drawings. The first is an ATC for my flickr pal nayski:


The second is a turpentine wash drawing for my second insect painting:


So, you see I haven't been completely lazy and good for nothing, only somewhat. I'm also serving as art director for my friend Andy's film and doing the flower decorations for an upcoming wedding in October. I hope to post some pictures from Andy's film in the next two months in addition to a few more from my own film on Tisnikar - and oh yes, I have a few pictures from my trip to Columbia, CA that I need to post as well. Surprisingly enough, the sustained heat in the car did not damage the film. Lucky me! But please don't take this as an encouragement to overheat your own film. It was very nerve-wracking waiting to see what had happened. I had many visions of damaged images right up to the second before I got them back from the lab. I guess this is one of many convenient advantages of digital over film. You don't have to worry about these types of issues. Still though, there's something special about film that makes me go back to it time and again.

More later...Till then, feel free to comment on my raven and moth.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. I have a feeling, though, that the Crow is plotting against the benevolent Moth.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

one of my friends described the raven as "foreboding." it's odd because I didn't set out to make him that way. he just seemed to insist on it. I don't know if it's my lack of drawing experience or what, but my painting and drawings often seem to have a mind of their own.

I suppose it didn't help that while I was working on it. I watched three different shows on PBS with foreboding topics;the first being a film depiction of Moby Dick starring Gregory Peck as peg legged Ahab ranting against Nature, followed by a show about disastrous rescue missions in the stormy seas. I capped it all off with a documentary about the cultural/social and environmental devastation brought on by the dam project in the Yangtze River in China. so, who knows, perhaps the Disaster Trio on tv did have some effect. I just hope nayski likes it. most of her ATCs are bright and whimsical. I'll find out in the next few days. it's on it's way to her house right now.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

ok, let's try that again! it seems that copying from earthlink and pasting into blogger does all kinds of funky things to the text. hopefully, the line breaks in this version are not as awkward as the last one I tried to post.

with K's permission, I am repeating some of her email comments here because I found them to be very interesting and insightful:

I'm still thinking on the drawings. They are two very different images in nature and hand...The moth one is like a lucid dream, very sexual in nature, too, with those puffed out legs... the rabbit-like face is also vaguely sexual, or maybe it's just me. Lol. But
the raven, the roughness, I like it. I suspect it stands for a period in your handwork, it's different than the things I've seen. I could stand to see more. I haven't concluded my thoughts on either piece, but I did look at them immediately when you sent the link, because you've got to be the best artist on the net these days.

and part of my response (the rest has been edited out for privacy reasons):

K,
your comments about my work are always so interesting to me. you and quid have this uncanny ability to see right through to my conscious - and even unconscious intentions. yes, the moth is kind of sexual. I think it's partly the intense curiosity in his expression. he's dropped in momentarily to see if there is any reason he should stay, but his wings reveal that he could take off again at any moment if
the object of his gaze proves to be in any way unsatisfactory. I suppose it is a visual manifestation of my own present state of restlessness.

re: the raven, yeah, he turned out to be very loose, dark and menacing - and yet, I spent a considerable time thinking about what I wanted it to look like, gathering the materials together for the framing and the envelope, cutting everything down to the right size, etc....but the drawing itself was done very quickly. most of my time after that was spent on trying to get a decent scan of it, something I never really was able to achieve. I eventually settled with a vague proximity in photobucket, sealed the envelope and dropped it into the mailbox. the card was late as it is, I didn't want to delay things further with my endless fretting. you know how it goes.... T

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it arrived safely and is well loved - hanging in my art room among my other trading treasures! thanks so much tina - i appreciate all your efforts so much!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

you're welcome! I love the cards you made for me as well. they look great sitting next to my collection of jewel beetles. we should consider trading again sometime in the future.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home