box-of-paints

a journal of my creative efforts, past and present

My Photo
Name:
Location: Berkeley, California, United States

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

October 2016 Black Light Show Mushroom Installation at Studio 23



I created this hand painted print for the Studio 23 Black Light Show the previous year. It was inspired by real bio luminescent mushrooms that I observed at the SF Academy of Sciences Color Exhibit. Each print was hand painted with glow-in-the-dark paint. My goal was to make an image that looked good in all three types of lighting - natural, black light and darkness.


natural light view

black light view


I decided to go into three dimensions with glow-in-the-dark terrariums. I created eight of varying sizes, with different kinds of moss, pebbles and glowing mushrooms.


prepping the mushrooms




The mushroom terrariums in the black light installation room:




We also installed a large sheet of paper which we titled "The Bio Lumina Doodle Board." People of all ages participated in decorating the board with glow-in-the-dark pens and paint. Here is a short video to give you an idea of the variety of fun sketches and doodles (lots of Pokemon characters here!):



Thanks to Wesley and Jessica Warren for allowing me to create this installation in their studio. It was an interesting and fun experiment. There were some things I would do differently, such as preparing more art for the wall, but overall I thought it was a success and I hope to do another installation sometime in the next two years or so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Warren said...

We loved your installation and it was the 1st of many to come!

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home