box-of-paints

a journal of my creative efforts, past and present

My Photo
Name:
Location: Berkeley, California, United States

Monday, November 02, 2009

Day of the Dead 2009

Day of the Dead has always been one of my favorite times of the year, but this year, it is especially meaningful. For many people, 2009 seems to be a year of loss, whether it be the loss of a job or a loved one. The most difficult loss for me personally was the death of my kitty Joseph. I had him for nine happy years. He passed away suddenly from a heart seizure on October 2nd. This is the last picture I took of him. It was still in my camera at the time of his death:


Memorial flowers for Joseph:




Thanks to everyone who sent Michael and I sympathetic emails and cards. We greatly appreciate it.


In addition to decorating my own house, I like to go to DOTD related events and art exhibits. These photos were taken at the Meek Mansion in Hayward, CA. I thought the displays were well done overall and looked great in this particular setting. Please note that all of the displays and images were initially created by other artists. These are simply photos of the artwork displayed.


































These were taken yesterday at the big street festival in Fruitvale, CA:










And last but not least, these are some color pencil drawings I created a few years ago for a Day of the Dead celebration at my house. The original drawings were done on 18x24 inch paper so they were big enough to catch the attention of my party guests. I thought it would be fun to include them here:









I hope you enjoyed looking at these images everyone. Take some time today to remember your departed ancestors and loved ones.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouuuu Tina!
What great photos and fun drawings.
I especially like the simplicity of the chair w candle...very thought provoking.
Blessings to the Spirits!
xox,
MJL

5:17 PM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

Thanks for your comments Michael.Have a peaceful evening :)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Katie Hoffman said...

Tina, I am so sorry to hear that you lost Joseph. Your day of the dead drawings are very joyful feeling, which is perfectly in the spirit of the holiday as I understand it- I especially like the joyriding couple.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

Thanks Katie!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Cayenne Linke said...

I agree with ML -- Love the solitary child's chair, though the skull with the turkey feather (?) headdress is pretty impressive. Again, so sorry for the loss of Joseph...what a precious little face!

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful! i'm sorry for the delayed response but i don't use the email you sent the link to very much anymore. the chair is heart breaking... as is your loss of Joseph. wishing you healing. ~gkg

6:52 PM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

thanks Cayenne and gkg for taking the time to stop by and look at the pics - and for your sympathetic words re: Joseph.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Gina Zupsich said...

Tina, what a lovely entry. I love the details of your DOD altar. Your drawings are great!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Tina Banda said...

Thanks Gina!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home